New chemical found in pipe that killed baby
NEW YORK — A new chemical found inside a pipe that was found in a New York City apartment building has killed a newborn baby.
The baby died Saturday morning in the apartment complex on West 57th Street, the New York Daily News reported.
“It is very concerning that this chemical has been used on a child,” said Dr. Steven Kremers, director of the emergency department at Bellevue Hospital.
We are working to find out more and we are concerned that it is very toxic,” he said.
The hospital was alerted about the chemical by the New Yorkers Health Department.
Investigators are investigating the circumstances surrounding the baby’s death.
A spokeswoman for the New England Center for Disease Control and Prevention told ABC News that it has been working closely with New York State Department of Health to investigate.