The story of how a pipe broke inside a Texas gas station
A pipe that burst while a gas station owner was using it for sanitary work is making news around the country, prompting outrage among residents and lawmakers alike.
The story begins in a small Texas town.
The pipe was about 4 inches (10 centimeters) long and 6 inches (15 centimeters) wide, according to the San Antonio Express-News.
It burst when it was pulled out of a nearby gas station and then fell into a pool of gas that was filled with water.
The gas station owners, who said the gas was just sitting there, said it was their fault because they did not have a proper installation, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
The owner of the gas station, who identified himself as David E. Doolittle, said he was unaware of the problem until he returned from work and discovered the pipe was broken.
Doolsittle was later arrested and charged with felony burglary and battery, the Express- News reported.
The San Antonio Gas & Electric Company said in a statement that it was “working closely with authorities” in Texas to find out how the pipe came to be.
It was not immediately clear how long the pipe had been in use, the company said.
A San Antonio gas station worker told KXAN the pipe has been repaired several times and that he had installed a new installation that day.
The pipe had a seal that was broken, which allowed gas to leak out, he said.
The incident sparked a firestorm of criticism, including from Republican lawmakers.
Greg Abbott called on the governor to investigate, and Rep. Bill Zedler, a Democrat from San Antonio, told The Huffington Press that the gas industry should be held accountable.
“If they were going to install a replacement, that gas station should be the first to be investigated,” Zedler said.
“And then if the owner is still going to be in business, I think it would be fair to hold him accountable.”
A gas station in the town of San Marcos, Texas, is one of the towns that was hit by a fire that killed at least 18 people in January.
(Credit: Courtesy of the San Marcos Gas Station Owners Association)The San Marcos Fire Department reported that at least two people were found inside the gas store, which was closed because of the blaze.
Two more people were unaccounted for, the department said.
The fire department has since confirmed that there were no fatalities.